Skilled cosmetic dentists are more than just dentists. They are artists who can help you perfect your smile by improving your teeth and other characteristics of your mouth. The term cosmetic dentistry is a broad one that encompasses any dental treatment that emphasizes aesthetics. Cosmetic treatments are often elective but are sometimes essential in order to improve oral health, and in both cases, treatments may involve enhancing position, alignment, shape, size, color, and so forth. Let us consider five ways in which your cosmetic dentist can help improve your quality of life.
No matter how beautiful or handsome you may otherwise be, bad teeth can greatly detract from that attractiveness. Many people are distressed with teeth that are discolored, crooked, misshapen, chipped, or even missing altogether. Your cosmetic dentist can help you straighten and whiten those teeth. In fact, there are few, if any, dental injuries and defects that cannot be corrected through cosmetic dentistry.
Attractiveness is about more than just your physical characteristics. How you carry and introduce yourself plays an important role as well. It can be difficult to make great first impressions when you are hiding your smile for fear that someone will see your less-than-perfect teeth. If you ever feel embarrassed or awkward at work or social functions due to your smile, it is highly likely that cosmetic dentistry can enhance not just your smile but your quality of life through higher self-esteem.
3. Oral Health
Crooked, chipped, and missing teeth are not just cosmetic issues. Dental defects can have a real effect on your oral dental health. These issues can lead to headaches, jaw pain, and even gingivitis and more serious gum disease. They can also affect how you chew and, thus, how well you digest your food. These are the reasons you should schedule essential dental treatments as soon as possible.
4. Lasting Change
The work performed by your cosmetic dentist will generally not be temporary. Many cosmetic improvements can last a decade or even longer, which means you are making a long-term investment. There are procedures like teeth whitening that may not last that long, but there are steps your dentist can help you take to avoid discoloration in the future and thus require fewer treatments.
5. Fast Recoveries
A common concern not just with cosmetic dentistry but any dentistry is recovery time. Feeling discomfort and needing time to heal provides people reasons to put off treatment. But recovery times for cosmetic treatments are quite short for most patients. In fact, great strides have been made in recent years to improve recovery times. Often, a patient can have a treatment performed during lunch and return to work that very same day with no pain or discomfort involved!
Which Cosmetic Dental Treatments Should I Choose?
The cosmetic dentistry procedures appropriate for you depend on your oral health and your smile makeover goals. This is something you will talk over with your dentist as you decide how to proceed. But here is an overview of the available treatments and which patients make ideal candidates.
- Teeth whitening is recommended for anyone with stained or otherwise discolored teeth. Professional whitening is not only more effective but lasts longer than over-the-counter treatments.
- Porcelain veneers are an excellent option for transforming a smile. Veneers cover the front of the tooth in order to alter or enhance the color, length, shape, or size.
- Clear aligner systems—such as Invisalign—can fix crookedness, gaps, overcrowding, and improper bites. Invisalign’s discreetness makes it a great option for both professionals and students.
- Dental implants are an ideal way to replace one or more missing teeth. Modern implants look and feel like real teeth and are designed to last for 25 years or even longer.
- Tooth-colored fillings are an improvement over conventional amalgams. They allow your dentist to fill cavities and other imperfections with a result that looks like your natural tooth.
- Dental Botox and other dermal fillers are used as an alternative treatment for TMJ disorders. It can help with headaches from teeth grinding and even reduce or eliminate fine lines and wrinkles.
Improve Your Smile and Your Health
Jeffrey D. Clark, DDS, is a highly skilled cosmetic dentist who is committed to ongoing continuing education in order to provide you the best possible care. Scottsdale Dental Excellence is a state-of-the-art facility where you have access to not only cosmetic procedures but a full range of general and restorative treatments. You can expect a staff that is committed to your health and works hard to make you as comfortable and relaxed as possible on your path to your perfect smile. Call us at 480 585 1853 to learn more about our treatments and technologies and to schedule an initial consultation for your smile makeover.