Teeth that are crooked or misaligned not only disrupt your smile aesthetic but can make cleaning more challenging and cause a host of other complications as well. More difficulty cleaning is no small matter. Even a single tooth that cannot be properly cleaned can ultimately lead to periodontal disease, which damages the gums, can eventually damage the teeth, and can even lead to tooth loss.
Metal braces are the conventional way to straighten teeth. Unfortunately, such braces can be uncomfortable and even painful to wear, and you may have to wear them for a relatively long time. Braces are not particularly attractive. Wearing them can make people self-conscious, and while that is hard on the teenager, it can be even harder on the professional adult.
The good news is that conventional metal braces are no longer the only option. Invisalign has innovated a clear aligner system. This is not just an alternative but rather preferred by many dentists, and with that in mind, let us consider six key aspects that separate Invisalign from the old way of doing things.
- Practically Imperceptible – Among the biggest issue people have with braces is how they make you look. Many a teen has experienced a great deal of stress at the mere idea. We often advise them that it is in their best interest, but propose braces to an adult, and most will recoil as well. Your smile is often the first thing people notice about you, which makes it just about impossible to disguise your braces. Invisalign aligners, however, are made from clear plastic rather than metal. Most people will never even notice them, and a person has to get very close to discern that they are even there.
- Comfortable – Any oral appliance requires an acclimation period, but most people adjust to Invisalign in just a few days. Braces, on the other hand, can require weeks and even months. That is because braces have sharp features that can irritate the soft tissues in your mouth. Clear aligners do not. There is also no need to tighten aligners down the way a dentist must with braces. When it is time for a tighter aligner, you discard the old set and are given a new set by your dentist.
- No Diet Changes – Braces require most people to adjust their diets. Your dentist will even give you a list of dietary do nots. Patients who disregard these guidelines can damage the brackets and wires and cause themselves undue discomfort and expenses in the process. But Invisalign is removable. Take them out. Eat and drink what you like, and when you are finished, rinse your aligner and put it back in.
- Easier to Clean – Conventional braces make your teeth much more difficult to clean because there are nooks and crannies as well as just a lot more surface area for food particles and plaque to accumulate. Food can get stuck, and you have to work harder at brushing your teeth, which often leads to poor oral hygiene. Invisalign clear aligners, on the other hand, pop out. Brush, floss, and rinse your teeth as you normally would.
- No Staining – Although discoloration due to braces is not guaranteed, it is fairly common. Avoiding it requires a selective diet and detail-oriented hygiene. While the discoloration is relatively slight, it does stand out when the braces are removed. The staining can be reversed through cleaning and perhaps a tooth whitening treatment in most cases, but opting for Invisalign eliminates this concern altogether.
- Fewer Dentist Visits – Invisalign clear aligners not only require fewer trips to your dentist, but those visits are less involved. A patient with braces must regularly see a dentist to have the braces examined, adjusted, and perhaps cleaned. With aligners, your dentist will usually give you a set at a time. You work your way through the set as prescribed by the dentist and only need to see your dentist occasionally.
Straighten Your Teeth
Perfect your smile and enjoy better oral health with straighter teeth. Invisalign clear aligners are an excellent option whether you are in high school or working hard to advance your professional career, and Invisalign lets you enjoy a beautiful smile faster without discomfort or risking damage to your teeth or gums. Jeffrey D. Clark, DDS, is an Invisalign-certified dentist in Scottsdale. Dr. Clark can evaluate your needs, assess your smile, and plan your smile makeover with Invisalign clear aligners. Schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Clark at Scottsdale Dental Excellence by calling us at 480 585 1853.