Periodontal disease is the most common disease among American adults! That’s right –”gum disease” is more prevalent than diabetes, heart disease, or cancer. In fact, about 80% of Americans suffer from some form of gum disease. Many people do not realize they suffer from gum disease until it has progressed into advanced, serious stages and if not treated it can lead to bone loss, receding gum tissue and tooth loss. Untreated periodontal disease has been linked to health conditions such as diabetes, stroke, pregnancy complications, and heart disease. At Scottsdale Dental Excellence, we work hard to help you prevent and control periodontal disease. Regular professional cleanings are essential for us to monitor and prevent problems from occurring, which can happen without you even knowing, until there is a serious problem. Our experienced Hygienist works closely with Dr. Jeffrey D. Clark, and may recommend the following for treating periodontal disease:
- Ultrasonic Scaling: removing tartar (hardened plaque) around the teeth above and below the gum line
- Root planing: smoothing out rough spots on the tooth roots below the gum line
- Antibiotic Therapy: combating infection through a strong antibiotic rinse or powder
- Laser Therapy: disinfection of deep pockets and stimulation of re-growth
- Dental Cleanings and Maintenance: removing debris, plaque and stain with a dental fluoride paste, sometimes every 3-6 months
If you suffer from red, swollen, achy, bleeding gums or bad breath you may have periodontal disease. Call us today to schedule your cleaning visit with us so we can help keep your mouth feeling fresh and clean!