TMJ syndrome (sometimes called TMD) is a disorder that includes pain in the joints and muscles of the TMJ (temporomandibular joint). The TMJ is the joint that connects the lower jaw to the skull, and it is essential to the function of your jaw in speaking, eating, and yawning. TMJ disorders may be caused by bruxism (teeth grinding and clenching), increased stress, crooked (misaligned) teeth, a bad bite (occlusal) relationship, or injury. The symptoms of TMJ disorder may also be caused by inflammation or misalignment of the temporomandibular joint. TMJ disorder can result in very painful conditions such as hyperactive muscles, extensive wear on the occlusal and side surfaces of the teeth, and disc displacement; in most cases, however, it is a more progressive disease with milder symptoms like headaches and pain in the head, neck, shoulder, and ear areas.
Dr. Jeffrey D. Clark, will help you alleviate your pain and restore your smile to optimal function by diagnosing your symptoms and recommending TMJ therapy. Common symptoms of TMJ disorder include:
- Chronic headaches and migraines
- Facial pain
- Uncomfortable biting and chewing
- Dizziness and ringing in the ears
- Tooth wear and teeth grinding
- Clicking or popping sounds in the jaw joint
- Pain in the ear, neck, and shoulders
TMJ treatment at Scottsdale dental excellence may include:
- Restorative dentistry (to build and correct the bite)
- A night guard to prevent bruxism (teeth grinding and clenching)
- Lifestyle changes
- Tension-relief exercises and focused facial relaxation
We invite you to call or visit us at Scottsdale Dental Excellence to learn more about TMJ/headache therapy and how we can help you live free from pain. We are dedicated to improving your health!